Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Trend in a Cup


Maybe it’s because of the increase in student workloads, the decreasing amount of sleep or perhaps it’s just the delicious taste. Either way, however, students all over campus can be seen carrying that ever-popular white cup slipped inside of a cardboard sleeve with a big green circle stamped on the front. That’s right… Starbucks!

As one of the fastest growing coffee chains in the United States, it doesn’t come as a surprise that the oh-so delicious beverage has made it’s way to Missouri Western. Starbucks coffees have definitely defined themselves as an increasing trend at Western, even if the price seems a bit posh.

On average, a coffee drinker would spend about $3.40 per coffee beverage, which some would consider comparable to a gallon of milk. But to coffee-lovers, all that matters is the quick caffeine fix and the addictive taste.

Gone away are the days of the 500-calorie cup. Starbucks recently went Skinny by adding sugar-free syrups that reduce the calories and fat, but not the taste. Also, coffee-goers now have the option to skip the whip, which can save up to 110 calories and 11 grams of fat. So why not indulge a little?

As long as there are ways around destroying your girlish figure and as long as the addiction is worth the price, I say drink that Chai Tea Latté and guzzle down that Mocha Frappuccino. Because everyone else is!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I'm obsessed with Chai Tea Lattes... I also used to hate coffee but I find it weird that suddenly I drink it all the time. I like your subject and I think it's something a lot of people can relate to.

Gregor Avey said...

I can honestly say I never got into the coffee trend. It's probably because I have enough habits as it is.